Here to return to the previous page
Sino-Canadian International College, Guangxi University, Online English Lesson Plans, Lesson Material and Ideas
for Semester 2 Reading Lessons...
Reading: Revision Exercises
Task 1: A
coordinating conjunction is a word which joins together two clauses which
are both equally important. Complete the sentences by choosing the best
coordinating conjunction for each space. Write the correct conjunction in
1. Jason was cold, __________ he put on a coat.
2. Maria tried to read a novel in French, __________ it was too difficult.
3. To get from Vancouver to Victoria, you can fly, __________ you can ride
4. I bought a bottle of wine, __________ we drank it together.
5. The waiter was not very nice, __________ the food was delicious.
6. I went to buy a Rolling Stones CD, __________ the shop didn't have it.
7. Anna needed some money, __________ she took a part-time job.
8. There's so much rain lately! Maybe it's because of El Nino, __________
maybe it's just coincidence.
9. Julie has a guitar, __________ she plays it really well.
10. The concert was cancelled, __________ we went to a nightclub instead.
Task 2: A
subordinating conjunction is a word which joins together a dependent clause
and an independent clause. Choose the correct subordinating conjunction for
1. ________ it was raining, I didn't get wet. (Although / Because)
2. Jun couldn't
buy any Christmas presents, ________ he didn't have any money. (even
though / because)
3. ________ my
wife likes to travel abroad, I prefer to stay at home for my
vacations. (Whereas / Since)
4. Jerry passed
the exam first time, ________ I had to retake it three times. (as /
5. I will be late
today, ________ my car has broken down. (because / though)
6. ________ Mei Li
doesn't speak English, she can't go to university in Canada. (Whereas
7. Paula got the
job, ________ she had no experience. (as / even though)
8. I don't drink
coffee, ________ it makes me nervous. (as / although)