Here to return to the previous page
Sino-Canadian International College, Guangxi University, Online English Lesson Plans, Lesson Material and Ideas
for Semester 2 Reading Lessons...
Reading: Homonyms (Words
that sound alike)
Lesson Objectives: To
understand how homonyms are used when reading.
are words that sound alike or nearly alike but have different meanings and
different spellings: affect / effect, they're / their / there, etc.
Select the correct answer for each homonym or confusable words:
1. I couldn't tell
_______________ she was serious or not.
2. ____________ are too many possible answers to this question.
3. _________ going to help me with this?
4. Reading that book had a peculiar _______________ on Evelyn.
5. I am completely _________________ in this course.
6. I'm afraid she's going to _____________ her grandmother's wedding band.
7. My mother has been _______________ in bed all morning.
8. She has apparently found it difficult to ___________ the circumstances.
9. She apparently doesn't care about ___________ origins in antiquity.
10. It's usually hotter __________ this in July.
11. The politicians can't seem to find an appropriate ___________ for the
new community college.
12. I've never known the library to be _____________ this quiet.